Gifts of Stock
Qualified Charitable Distribution from an IRA
If you are 70 ½ years of age or older, you are eligible to gift some or all of your required minimum distribution up to $100,000 to charity allowing you to minimize your adjusted gross income for 2019.
To make a qualified charitable distribution to Lafayette College from your IRA, please contact your IRA administrator. Keep in mind:
- Donor must be at least 70 ½ years of age when the gift is made;
- Transfer must be made directly from the IRA administrator to Lafayette College;
- Gifts from the IRA cannot exceed $100,000 per person ($200,000 for a couple) in a given year;
- Gifts can only be outright gifts (may not fund a charitable gift annuity or charitable trust);
- No goods and services can be given in exchange; and
- Gifts cannot be made to a donor advised fund, a supporting organization, or a private foundation.
Checks sent by your plan administrator directly to the College must be postmarked by December 31.
If you are able to write checks from your traditional IRA, you may be able to write the check to Lafayette yourself. To ensure credit for this tax year toward your required minimum distribution, please mail the check to Lafayette no later than December 1.
Did you know that many businesses offer a matching gift program as part of employee benefits? If you or your spouse work for such a company, you can double or triple your gift to Lafayette.
If your company has a paper form, complete your portion, mail it to the College, and the Annual Fund staff will do the rest. If your company uses an automated system, complete the procedure, and forward a copy of the information to the College once complete. In some cases, a spouse’s company will also match the gift.
Check online to see if your company participates in the program, or call (610) 330-5046 for assistance. You may send your form in with your gift, or you can send it after your gift has been made.
Matching gift forms can be mailed to:
Lafayette College Fund
Easton, PA 18042
If you are employed by Lafayette, you can make a gift online or have gifts automatically disbursed through payroll deduction form. Contact the Development Office at (610) 330-5037 for more information.