In the fall of 1970 Linda Arra and Cathy Hilton, both members of the Class of 1974, moved into their room in New Dorm and started a friendship that has lasted for going on 42 years. Theirs is just one of the thousands of lifelong friendships that began on College Hill.

Of course, this particular friendship is important to me because Cathy Hilton is my mother and Linda Arra is my godmother. These two women helped create my Lafayette family – the women and their children (including me – the redheaded baby) pictured here at their 15th reunion. My Lafayette is one intimately connected with all of these women – Nancy, Marilyn, Chris, Anne, Lindsay, Becky; and Linda & Cathy. My Lafayette is, in essence, the result of good luck and great roommates.

This week, in honor of Our Common Thread, the lifelong friendships that Lafayette has given us, and great roommates, the Annual Fund is sponsoring a competition for the “Best Roommate Story.” The winner will receive four tickets to the 2012 Lafayette-Lehigh game (two for you and two for your roommate). All you have to do to enter is head over to the Lafayette College Facebook page and write your story in a comment on the “Best Roommate Story” post. Tag your roommate (first names only, please) in the comment and tell all your friends to vote by clicking “like.” The post with the most likes by the end of this weekend will win!

Happy Reminiscing!

Amanda Whitbred ’11
Assistant Director of the Annual Fund

P.S. If you haven’t made your gift to the Annual Fund yet this year, do so now by clicking here!